Preparing for your Beach Photography Session:
1. Clothing: Make sure that everyone has similar outfits - we recommend either khaki pants/shorts and white shirts, blue jeans and white shirts, blue jeans and pastel shirts or blue jeans and black shirts.
2. Sunscreen: It is vitally important that everyone in your group wears a minimum of SPF 30 sunscreen, and children under 10 should use the highest SPF Children's sunscreen that you can find. You will be facing the sun for an hour and anyone can get burned in that short period of time, with children being the most vulnerable. Applying the sunscreen thirty minutes to an hour before the session is best to ensure that you are not "sticky" on the beach.
3. Makeup/Lotion: On the beach - the wind may be blowing and it can be very hot. Make sure that you do not lather yourself with lotions other than some sunscreen. Heavy makeup will almost melt off your face when you're facing the sun for almost an hour - try to keep it light and natural. If you put on too much lotion - the wind will blow sand all over you and it will get sticky and irritating... so please please please do not lather yourself in the latest Bath and Body Works fruity scented lotion - you will be miserable. =)
4. Hair: On the beach, there is almost always a breeze. Make sure you put a little more hairspray than usual if you are worried about your hair staying in place. Also - no matter how much hairspray you use - your hair is going to have somewhat of a "wind blown" effect - just know that this makes your photos look natural and beautiful - please don't stress too much about your hair blowing, we'll do our best to wait between shots to get this right.
5. Food: Try to eat a few hours prior to your photo shoot. Especially if it is warm outside, your stomach can get a little queezy if you eat right before your photo shoot and you are in the direct sun, fully dressed for an hour.
6. Water: Please remember to bring at least one water bottle per person in the photo shoot including children. You will want to make sure that you do not dehydrate.
7. Towels: Please bring a few hand towels for everyone to pat themselves dry as you will be sweating during the shoot and you will need to often wipe your brow. The breeze is usually blowing so it is not that uncomfortable, but we use high definition cameras and you wont want all of your photos to have drops of sweat on your forehead and cheeks. =)
8. Children: Make sure the kids have had a nap, are not hungry or thirsty and are excited about the photo shoot. I try to bring props, toys, etc. but it's very difficult to make a fussy, tired child smile long enough to get great photos - so I always remind my clients to make sure the kids are ready for the shoot.
9. Have fun! The photo shoots are meant to be a fun time for the whole family - you'll be getting really close to each other for an hour!
10. Location: I shoot most of my beach photography in Crystal Beach. There is usually plenty of parking, great sea oats and some old wooden fence posts that add a great diverse background to the photography. If you would like to shoot at another location, just let me know and I will do my best to accomodate you.
11. Thank you for your business! I know you have many choices for your Destin Photography and I want you and your family to know that I cherish meeting each and every one of you and look forward to helping your family capture your precious vacation moments.